Thursday, January 6, 2011

Yellow Lights

This Blog post is from early in 2010, I just never posted it:

When I was 15, I had the best Sunday school teacher ever. Brother Hales. The first day of our class, we were "homeless" because we had been assigned a classroom already in use. To remedy this, for the time being, we set up camp in a low-traffic hallway where several small couches were set up. Luckily there were only a half a dozen of us in his class so we didn't have to crowd. I loved gathering for class after the sacrament meeting, taking my shoes off and sitting criss-cross on a single sofa in my flowy skirt.

One day, to make a point, Brother Hales asked us, "What does a yellow light on a traffic signal mean?" I had shot up my hand. Typical.

"It's a warning to slow down because the red light is coming." Brother Hales acknowledged my answer. But then a boy named Kurt spoke up.

"No, it's a warning to SPEED UP because the red light is coming." This made everyone laugh. It was true. Especially now, as a driver, I know how the yellow light can be an instant trigger to gun it through the intersection before it's too late. But sometimes we hesitate. Sometimes we're just a bit too far to be sure that we'll make it. And there are times that the yellow light surprises us so much that we slam on the breaks, only to find out we had plenty of time and it would have been better to just float on.

In life, there are yellow lights. Times when we have a choice between playing it safe and waiting it out, or accelerating beyond the speed limit and risking it all.

But have you ever slowed down for a yellow light... only to realize you could have made it through in time? but by then it's too late?

Have you ever ran a red light...on accident??

Have you ever been flooring SO FAST....and had to SLAM on the brakes for the red light, which sends everything flying forward?

I feel like I'm coming up to a yellow light.


No comments: