A couple of weeks ago, I decided I needed a change in my routine-- something to clear my head. Inspired by a close friend of mine and his dad, this routine-change came in the form of running. Not something I've ever been entirely too fond of, I knew it would be quite a challenge to get motivated. I made a costly investment (running shoes, anyone?) and hit the pavement early in the morning.
The first day was tough. It was early and the air was frigid and by the end of my 10 minutes, I was pretty darn winded and my throat was burning. And oh my goodness, I was SORE. For DAYS. But I was also incredibly determined.
The second day I ran was MUCH easier... and it's only gotten easier since. And it really does clear my mind. I can focus simply on my breathing and my strides instead of the stress and mess of daily life. It's a great way to start the day.
I found a quote by Henry David Thoreau last week which says, "If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment."
I always like to say, "Hey, at least it'll make a good song" when something crummy happens in my life.
For this disappointment, I can also say, "Hey, it got me to RUN."
1 comment:
Hey, you can join Brent and me for the Heart and Sole 10k in May! Or the half marathon in August! (Ok, seriously ... just writing that makes me tired. Maybe I'll start up again in January. :)
Good job!
Post a Comment