Thursday, February 25, 2010

What are you waiting for?




Tuesday Night

Rainey (who does not have Wednesday classes): So, I'm going to see "Waiting for Godot" tomorrow.
Bri (who most certainly does): You have fun with that.

Wednesday Morning
Note from off-to-class Bri left for sleeping Rainey:
Let's go see Godot! I'll be back around 1. Text me. Love, Girlscout

Wednesday Afternoon- en route

Rainey (in her tractionless boots): What made you change your mind about the show?
Bri (in her rugged rain boots): I woke up on the right side of bed.

Getting Zach on board

Via a variety of texts and phone calls:
*Disclaimer*-- this timeline was constructed to simply convey the ridiculousness of the situation. Skim it!!

1:15- Failed attempt at calling Zach

1:22- Failed attempt #2

1:26- Text from Bri to Zach: Hey we're leaving soon. You still on campus?

1:39- Failed phone call from Zach to Bri

1:45 Zach to Bri (As he knocks on our door): Sorry I missed you. Did you leave yet? I could try to meet you there if its not too late.

1:50- Failed call to Bri

1:51- Bri to Zach: Ya. Meet us if you can. We left.

1:53- PHONE CONVO:

Zach: "I blew it. It's too late"
Bri: "No, it's not. Meet us at the theatre"
-"Can I make it?"
"Yes, you have til 2:30. Unless you don't want to trek it"
-"Oh, I can trek it."
"Well, we're in line for tickets. We can buy you one."
-"Can you?"
"I don't know yet. We're in line. I'll call you back."

1:55- Failed call to Zach

1:55:23 Zach calls back

PHONE CONVO:
Bri: "We're buying our tickets"
Rainey to box office: "Yes, I'd like 3 together."
Zach: "I don't know if I can make it. I don't think I'm gonna come."
Bri: "Rainey, just 2"
Zach: "I so wanted to, but you guys have fun."

1:56- Tickets are bought.

1:57- There was an open seat next to us! "Should we buy it for Zach?" No, he made up his mind. But he really wanted to come! And he definitely can make it if he books it. Should we?

1:59- "Yes, yes we should"

PHONE CONVO:
"Hey Zach, we're buying you a ticket. Trek."
(various discussion involving tube and theatre directions.)

2:19- Zach calls Bri. He can't find theatre.

2:20- Zach almost collides into Bri and Rainey while on phone with Bri and looking for theatre.

Summary: Zach wanted to come. Then he got wishy washy. He wasn't coming. Then he was. Then he really wasn't coming. Then he was kicking himself. Then we convinced him to trek. So...he came :)


*BTW- Zach and I compared call logs in the common room today for a good 10 minutes trying to figure all of that out. Hopefully you survived, because now it's time for the main event:


Ian McKellen and Waiting for Godot!

The Theatre Royal Haymarket


Waiting for Godot is a play by Samuel Beckett, an Irish avant-garde playwright commonly associated with "Theatre of the Absurd."

Characteristics of "Theatre of the Absurd": Characters caught in hopeless situations forced to do repetitive or meaningless actions; dialogue full of clichés, wordplay, and nonsense; plots that are cyclical or absurdly expansive. (Thank you, wikipedia!)

"Beckett has achieved a theoretical impossibility—a play in which nothing happens, that yet keeps audiences glued to their seats.”

If you're curious, here's a video montage to give you an idea. I picked the "comedic" one, but there's a "tragedy" video as well.


I have to tell you, Ian McKellen was a knockout. I'll admit to being slightly star struck--hey! It's Gandalf!--but regardless, he had me completely captivated. He makes eating a carrot entertaining! But he wasn't the only star on the stage. Seeing Roger Rees in person was pretty hilarious for me-- knowing him mostly as Sheriff Rottingham from "Robin Hood: Men in Tights," a movie from my childhood. And my oh my!- sitting in the 2nd row was thrilling. Normally I'm not much of a fan, but the past couple of shows I've seen (this one and "Greta Garbo Came to Donegal"--also amazing!), I've sat very close and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

PHOTOS:

Typical Rain Cloud:


Me with Zachary

Theatre Girls

Pizza Hut: London style. Dinner after the matinee. £4 for some garlic bread, a personal pizza, and a soda ("pop"). We were happy.

Another ticket stub to add to my wall. I'm up to 8 already. And it's only been 5 and half weeks. LOVE.

1 comment:

Ben Green said...

Sir Ian in "Waiting for Godot"! I do declare it probably doesn't get any better than that.