Sunday, June 6, 2010

Slice of Cake

A guy from my sophomore year Acting II class just booked West Side Story on Broadway. (!!!!) He hasn't even graduated college yet and he's already off to New York to make his dreams a reality. It's crazy that I once shared that dream-- the dream of performing on Broadway. Though I long ago realized my limitations as a performer, I will always have a passion for the stage. I haven't been able to do a show since last summer and the withdrawal is absolutely insane, I miss it so much. And trust me, theatre withdrawal PLUS London withdrawal is a recipe for some incredibly lonely days here in sunny California.
The best thing to do is to stay busy. I got myself a job at Pinkberry, which keeps me distracted 20-25 hours a week. I also started school this week, which takes up another 20, plus the homework and study time. I might pick up a few volunteer hours as well, but won't be able to start until the end of July. So here's the breakdown:

Pinkberry - (frozen yogurt)

What's there to like? chill coworkers, nice customers, free snacks, tips, 10 minute drive from my place.
What's there to dislike? long shifts, lower pay than my last job, tart yogurt (bleh!), constantly comparing it to MYO .

Summer School SESSION I (Theatre History and Creative Dance for Children)

What's there to like? getting classes out of the way, staying busy, learning
What's there to dislike? homework (reading, papers, projects, etc), cramming a semesters worth of material into 6 weeks, long 3 hour classes.

Orangewood Children's Home (where I plan to volunteer)

What do volunteers do? tutor and play with children who have been neglected or abused and are waiting for placement with relatives, foster care, etc.
The bad news? they only do volunteer orientations once a month and I can't make it until the end of July. LAME.

Besides staying busy, I've been doing my best to keep in touch with my "London friends," as they've been dubbed. I've touched base with all of them since returning home, some more than others. Andrew and I still talk a lot which is great, because I really miss seeing him every day. My roommate, Rainey, who I also miss like crazy, came from L.A. to visit me last weekend which ended up being just what I needed. I only wish the others were close enough for overnight trips! At this point, London definitely feels like a dream, and all I want to do is go back to sleep! Alas.

In a way, it's just like the closing of a show. "Post-show depression" times 10! And though you can never get that same show back--- with the same cast, same crew, same time and place and happenings, you will always have the friendships you made and the memories to look back on.And you carry those experiences with you wherever you go. Like Helen Keller said, "What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."

And there will always be another show.

Like Arick told me at the closing of HSM: "Bri, this is only one slice of cake, and TRUST ME, you are going to eat A LOT of cake in your lifetime."

Or like Semisonic says in their song "Closing Time," "Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end."

Sappy. Nostalgic. Cliché. But true nonetheless.



No comments: