Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Reminders

I could have easily caused a traffic accident today. A blind man crossed the street using his walking stick, and while my light was red, I watched him find his way around the sidewalk, feeling for the edges. Even after my light turned green, I had trouble tearing my eyes away from him.

Yesterday at work, a seemingly normal girl around my age walked in. But when I greeted her (enthusiastically of course) with the customary, "Welcome to Pinkberry!" she tapped her finger to her ear, the international sign for "I can't hear you!" I was about to say it again, because as a theatre major, this is typically a sign that I hadn't been loud enough. Then I made the connection. It's not that she couldn't hear ME. She couldn't HEAR. Through a serious of hand gestures and pointing, I swirled her yogurt, topped it off, and handed her off to my co-worker, Chris, who rang her up.

Twice now I have seen a man on a busy corner in downtown Fullerton, strumming away on his guitar and singing into a microphone. Wearing a t-shirt, running shorts, tennis shoes, and sunglasses, he looks like the guy next door throwing a barbeque. A sign next to him says "Dad with two kids LAID OFF."

I needed these moments. Each served as a reminder of things that I normally take for granted that I need to be grateful for: my ability to SEE, my ability to HEAR, my job, my parent's financial support.

I'm grateful to be healthy. To see. To hear. To walk.
I'm grateful to be employed. So I can support myself.
I'm grateful to have support. Because I can't do it all on my own yet.
I'm grateful for my friends. Far away and nearby, old and new.
I'm grateful for my family. When everyone else is a variable, they are constant.
I'm grateful to be in school. Because I love learning.
For my bed, indoor plumbing, chocolate, dryers, dance, Target, medicine, carpet, sunshine, bonfires, and music. And the list goes on...



2 comments:

kiddle97 said...

Indeed. Good post, Bee.

Grama Vroom said...

and I am thankful for you, and sooo very thankful to know you are appreciative of all you have been blessed with...it's so easy to get caught up in what we don't have that we forget all the good we do have.

lotsa love,
Madre (through the tears)