I just watched the documentary, "The Lottery," about the controversy of charter schools in Harlem that are in such high demand that the schools do a lottery each year to choose new students. It's such a depressing concept... that in order to get a quality education, your number has to be picked.
You don't need to live in the right ZONE.
You don't need a ton of money.
You don't even need good test scores.
You need LUCK.
It depresses me that our country spends millions of dollars on weaponry, war, and prisons, and yet keeps making budget cuts where the money is needed most-- Education.
Don't people see that EDUCATION is a way out of poverty? A way to escape the life of gangs and violence and drugs? That education promotes better communication skills and therefore better families and better communities? Even at CSUF-- a 4-year University, I am ASTONISHED at how uneducated some students are. They don't have basic skills of taking notes in a class unless the professor spoon-feeds it to them via powerpoint. They don't LISTEN. They just want to scrape by with a passing grade.
Our country is completely failing our children. It breaks my heart.
I am so thankful for my education. I can only hope that I can offer the same high quality schooling to my children someday.
No comments:
Post a Comment