Disregarding the slightly traumatic falling-off-my-pony experience, the first trip outside of England proved to be a huge success. Parc Le Breos, the Welsh bed & breakfast that served as our home, was quaint and homey, and the sweet owner, Olive, whipped up some of the most delicious home cooked meals we’ve had in awhile (though it didn’t hold a candle to my mommy’s cooking, which will always top them all.)
The pony trekking could have been described as amusing, terrifying, annoying, or possibly borderline monotonous depending on the moment you asked. In a strange way, I think the best part of it for me was falling off--or not falling off, per se, but falling off so I could get back on. The shock and pain of the experience triggered the first real tears I’ve cried while being abroad. But good ol’ Confucius wasn’t lying: Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Cue the inspiring wind instruments.
Me on my pony, “Baby,” before she dumped me.
The second day in Wales led us on a gorgeous walk through the beaches and atop the grassy cliffs. We climbed up to the castle ruins, took some great self-timer photos, and had lunch in a little cafĂ© called Maddock’s. This place was such a treat. We were served with some of the most generous and accommodating hospitality I’ve ever witnessed. They even gave us a box of their famous Welsh cakes (cakesfromwales.com). YUM! Combined with the gorgeous coastline, I knew at that moment that Wales is somewhere I need to come back to someday.
The trekking group:
My trip to Wales brought on my first real wave of homesickness. Sitting on the cliffs, running on the smooth sand, collecting shells and feeling the cold breeze on my face—It was such a change from the big city of London we’ve all grown so accustomed to. With my ipod playing in my ears—soft enough to still hear the waves-- I felt like I was gazing at the Pacific Ocean along highway 1 to Big Sur, rather than the Atlantic waters of Bristol Channel. The world definitely shrank in that moment. Both places, so beautiful, so similar, on opposite sides of the world.
“Pensive Bri”
Three Cliffs Bay in Wales:





1 comment:
Well, if it's any consolation, Pensive Bee, the other side of the world misses you.
Post a Comment